Biography of Sarah Minerva (Mina) Boren Marriotti
Born 18 Nov. 1881
Wallsburg, Wasatch Co. Utah

Written by
Elva B. Carter (Niece)
February, 1961
Of Camp Sowiette, of Center Utah Co.
Provo, Utah

[This was keyed into the computer by Stephen Rawlins in February 1997 from typewritten copy provided to me by Elva B. Carter.]
Biography of Sarah Minerva (Mina) Boren Marriotti

I was born in the little town of Wallsburg, Wasatch Co. Utah, 18 November 1881 and blessed 5 January 1882 by George Dabling. I was baptized 19 May 1890 by F. A. Fraughton, and confirmed the same day by George Dabling.

My father, William Jasper Boren Sr. was born 30 November 1837 at Peoria, Ill. He married Lucina Meacham 3 June 1859 in Provo by J. O. Duke. They received their endowments in the Logan Temple 7 Mar 1870, and were sealed by D. H. Wells. Lucina Meacham was born 11 Mar. 1841 in Lee Co. Iowa. William Jasper Boren died in Wallsburg 16 May 1900 and was buried there. Lucina Meacham died in Provo 21 June 1925 and was buried in Wallsburg.

My grandfather was Coleman Boren born 13 October 1808 at Robertson Co. Tenn. He married Melinda Keller who was born 9 October 1813 at Rowan Co., N. C. Grandfather died 12 May 1858. Grandmother died 12 May 1871, both at Provo.

My other Grandparents were Moses Meacham born 19 February 1804 at Grafton Co., N. H. He married Elvira Derby born 6 November 1811 at Grafton Col N. H. Grandfather died 22 July 1878, and Grandmother died 26 April 1886, both died in Provo.

My parents had a large family of thirteen children. I was the eleventh child. We were all born in Utah:

  • William Jasper born 11 April. 1860 At Provo
  • Samuel LeRoy " 8 May 1861 "
  • Lucina Izora " 1 Oct. 1862 "
  • Melinda Elvira " 20 Sep. 1864 At Wallsburg, Wasatch Co.
  • Moses Marcus " 16 Jul 1866 At Provo, Utah, Co.
  • Lorana Jane " 25 Sept. 1868 At Wallsburg
  • Clinton Coleman " 22 Oct. 1870 "
  • Annie Maria " 24 Oct. 1873 "
  • Alma Lionel " 5 June 1875 "
  • Ida Viola " 5 Mar. 1878 "
  • Sarah Minerva (Mina) " 18 Nov 1881 "
  • Wilford Wells " 23 Sep. 1883 "
  • Polly May " 29 Mar. 1885 "

One of the first things I remember, Grandmother Elvira Meacham came to Wallsburg to visit us. Grandmother slept on a lounge, that could be pulled out and made into a full sized bed. Instead of springs it was made of slats. The children all wanted to sleep with grandmother, but none was allowed to. The lounge was in the parlor and we all thought it was beautiful. It was made of wood with beautiful carving on the back and ends.

On the 28 April 1886 grandmother died in Provo. Father and mother took me with them to Provo to attend the funeral, because I had a bad eye. My brother Wilford accidentally hit me in the eye with a buggy whip. I can remember seeing grandmother laying in her coffin. She was the first corpse I can remember seeing. Grandmother Elvira Meacham's home is still standing on First East and fourth North, in Provo, Utah.

Once father and mother had been away, they came back with a new pair of shoes for me. They were buttoned and high, they came almost to my knees. They had a white trim around the top and the button holes. I was so happy and proud, to me they were such beautiful shoes! Alvin Green and his wife came to spend the evening with us. I could hardly wait to show them my new shoes. When I took them back into the bedroom, my sister Annie said, "Haven't you got any sense, they'll think you never had any shoes in your life before."

Some time before Christmas one year the older children told me there wasn't any Santa Claus. I had said I wanted a gray velvet dress trimmed in pink with a pink rose (artificial) to go on it, and some water color paints. When a mysterious looking package came, I was so curious! One day when I thought I was alone I snooped! In the closet I found the dress, rose, and paints, I wanted so badly. I kept quiet, and said nothing to anyone. On Christmas Eve we always hung our stockings by the fire place. Christmas morning there wasn't one thing in my stocking! The other children's stockings were filled! I felt just terrible. Mother said "Santa Claus does not like snoops." How she ever knew I never did find out.

On New Year's Eve we always hung up our stockings and the next morning we usually found candy, nuts, raisins, or oranges in our stocking. This New Year's morning I received the gifts I should of had for Christmas! What a consolation, and what a lesson. To this day I cannot bring myself to snoop.

One Christmas I got seven dolls. Six of them Christmas morning. Annie gave me two of them, a boy and a girl. She had made the clothes for them and thy were just too cute for words! The seventh one I drew off the Christmas tree at the meeting house on Christmas Eve. So many dolls! My brother Jasper bought one of them for his daughter Linnie. One doll was a big wax doll, the first wax doll I had ever had.

One Christmas morning when we got up there was a beautiful hanging lamp, hanging from the ceiling, all lighted, and how beautiful. I shall always remember that morning.

At the dedication of the Salt Lake Temple father and mother went and took my sister Ida, her girl friend Jane Ford, my brother Wilford, my sister May and myself. In Salt Lake City we camped in the tithing office yard, (where the Hotel Utah now stands). We children had been warned that a black man or devil would get us if we were not good. Mother sent me to the tithing office building to get some hot water. On my way back I was coming out of the gate, I looked up and saw a black man. I thought the devil had got me sure! I screamed, threw the water and ran. The Negro laughed and laughed. He was the first Negro I had ever seen.

My parents were some of the best in this world. Father was one in a million. He was so kind and understanding. He raised stock, owned a shingle mill, and was a carpenter. He was a hard worker and a good provider. He was very honest. One instance I remember of my father. He was selling some grain, and measured it in a « bushel measure. He heaped it up, and the man that was buying it said, "You believe in giving good measure." Father answered," when I get on the other side I do not want to get sent back because I cheated a fellow out of a few grains of wheat. My father was so patient too. He was ill seven years before he died.

My mother was a woman who lived a life of service. She spent much of her time nursing the sick. There wasn't a doctor nearer than Heber, fourteen miles away. I hated the summer time for mother had we children gather, wash, and dry herbs. Then she used them to doctor sick people all winter.
This is the first poem my mother taught me:


Beautiful hands are they that do
The work of the noble, brave, and true
Beautiful best are they that go
Swiftly to lighten another's woe.

When I was four years old she taught me this poem:


I'll never chew tobacco
Said little Robert Reed
I'll never put it in my mouth
It is a filthy weed.

The following is the first song mother taught me:

O birdie I am tired now
I do not care to hear you sing
You've sang your happy song all day
So put your head beneath your wing.

Come sister come kiss me good night
For I my evening pray have said.
I want to lay me down to sleep
So put me in my little bed.

Oh, sister what did mother say?
When she to heaven was called away.
She told me always to be good,
And never, never go astray.

I can't forget the day she died
She laid her hand upon my head
And whispered softly keep my child
And then they told me she was dead.

Minerva Boren Wentz came to see us, she was my aunt. She lived on Provo Bench. She was very pleased to find out I was her name sake. When she went home she sent me a box. In it were dresses, shoes, hose, and many other things. I lived with her off and on until I was married.

My first schooling was at Wallsburg. My favorite teachers there were Honn Duke, and John Bond, in Orem (Provo Bench), then Susie Talmage, and Mr. Nelson. At the B.Y.U. Academy my favorite teachers were Francis Kirkham, and Mary Woodruff.

I have always been active in the Church. I was Primary Secretary when I was 12 years of age. At that time when we had prayer in Primary we all knelt down. They also did that in Relief Society meeting at that time. When we went to church the men sat on one side of the house and the women on the other.

I was President of the Primary for 16 years, first at Mountain View Branch. It was then a branch of the Pleasant View Ward. In 1919 the Edgemont Ward was organized. Altogether I have worked 23 years in the Primary. I was a Counselor to Ann Greer in the Y.L.M.I.A for 2 years in the Wallsburg Ward. I was a class Leader in the Edgemont Relief Society for 9 years and a Relief Society District teacher for 51 years. For 56 years of my life I have taught children in kindergarten or the 7 and 8 year olds in the Sunday School and at the present time I am still teaching.

For the D.U.P I was Captain for 4 years. First lieutenant for 4 years and Second Lieutenant 6 years, class Leader for 4 years, and collector of relics for 2 years. Then I was Registrar for 4 years and have been Chaplin for the past 2 years. I was Registrar for births and deaths for the Pleasant View precinct for 8 years.

Some of my best girl friends were Lillie Wentz, Vilate Loveless, Annie Earl, Nelissa Ford, Clara Parcell, Mary Meacham, Nora Huntsman, and Lettie Wilson.

I went to B.Y.U. Leadership for 20 years without missing one year. I have a souvenir plate I received Jan. 1941

In 1902, 16 of our family went to Vernal in covered wagons. We left home Monday morning at 5 o'clock and arrived in Vernal after dark Saturday night. Mother, Ida and her family, Sam and his family all went. We visited for one month. My cousin Lee Meacham (son of Moroni) took me into Colorado so I could say I had been in the State of Colorado.

I have had my share of boy friends. I liked one who did not belong to the Church. When my father thought it was getting serious he called me to his sick bed and told me he would rather see me dead than to marry outside of the Church. He said he knew the Church was right and no sacrifice was too great to make for it. Father convinced me it would be wrong to marry some one that did not believe as we did. I listened to my father, and have never regretted it since. In fact I have been thankful all my life I listened to my father and took his advice. After that I met another fellow with money. He built a home, furnished it, but when the time came, I could not marry for money.

In the Spring of 1902 I met Omero. Our first date was a dance at the B.Y.U. I always said our courtship was a 2-cent one, as it was mostly correspondence. We corresponded until Oct. 5, 1904. We were married in Provo. Bishop Alexander Gilispie performed the ceremony. On the 18th of Jan., 1905 we were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple by John R. Winder.

The first 8 months of our married life we lived on the East Bench, now Edgemont. My neighbors there were Mamie Brunner and Jane Meldrum. We then moved to Provo in what was called the Riddle Row. My neighbors were Mrs. Art Buckley and Mrs. Riddle. We then moved to 3rd N. 6th East in mother's house. Mother let us live there by paying the taxes. My sister May lived right next to us. Other neighbors were Mrs. William Buckley, Mr. Olsen and Josephine Snow. In 1907 we moved to Wallsburg near my youngest brother Wilford and my oldest brother Jasper. We moved back to Provo in 1909.

Omero went to work on the Strawberry Tunnel. That winter was the only time we have been separated in the 56 years that we have been married. We lived between 6th and 7th North on 5th East. My neighbors there were Mrs. Hooks, Mrs. Hayes, Mrs. Bestermire and her two daughters Kate and Clare. We then moved to 7th East and Center.

In 1913 we moved out to the River Bottoms, and have lived here ever since. Mrs. Lavona Lott, Elmira Boyce, Ida Webb, Viola Dusterburg, Alice Rawlings, Mrs. Farnsworth, Mona Clinger, Mary Baker, Rose Hayward, were all dear neighbors.

Friends in the Edgemont Ward; Eva Gilispie, Anne Gilispie, Eva Boyce, Flora Bigler, Amelia Ford, Bessie Purdy, Helen Nelson, Marie Bott, Alice Matt, and Mary Hopkins.

My husband Omero was born in San Francisco, a son of Phillipo and Lestra Mayberry Marriotti. His birth date is 14 Apr. 1880. After his father died his mother married Giles L. Holden. They had 3 sons, Thomas Henry, Peter Alvin and William Lewis; Omero also had a foster brother, Albert Victor. Omero attended the Parker, and Mountain Schools; also the B.Y. U. Academy. Omero's father was educated to be a Catholic Priest. When it came time to take the vows, he would not take them, and was sent to the army. Omero was christened in the Catholic Church. When he was 5 years old he was blessed in the L.D.S. Church. He often said he was smarter than most children because he can remember when he was blest. He was baptized 25 May 1888 by George Meldrum and Confirmed by Andrew Watson. He was ordained a Deacon 31 Jan. 1896 by Andrew Peterson ordained a teacher 5 April 1896 by Andrew Peterson ordained a priest 28 Nov. 1900. Ordained and Elder 9 Jan. 1905 by Warren Ekins A Seventy 4 Jan. 1914 by O. W. Andiline and High Priest 23 February 1930 by Ray V. Wentz.

Omero worked in the Sunday School Superintendency and was also a class leader in the Sunday School. He was chairman of genealogy, Counselor of Elders and High Priests. I do not think there was ever any one that payed a more honest tithing than Omero has payed.

In February, 1902 my sister Annie lost four of her children in one week, the three oldest and the youngest, all girls, Adora, Ida, Eva, and Florallia. I washed Eva, and combed her hair, for burial. William Wells Bigelow, a son of Annie, died Nov. 1917 on the 18th of the month, just one day after his 13th birthday. The day of the funeral neither of the Relief Society nor the Bishopric came to dress him, one depending on the other. No undertaker being available, so Don, William's father and I prepared him for burial, just before the funeral. My sister May's oldest baby was 9 months old when he died. I washed, dressed and prepared him for burial. I sat up with the sick and dead many, many times because I did not get sleepy. Those days they always sat up with the dead as there were no undertakers. On the 12 Nov. 1911 Louisa Emma Homberger, wife of Wilford W. Boren died in Salt Lake City and was buried there.

On the 11th of Jan. 1914 my sister Ida's last baby died. I took the baby alone from Provo to Wallsburg for burial. One week later on the 19th, Ida died. When we started to Wallsburg with her for burial, the canyon was filled with snow. We got 1 « miles this side of the North Fork in Provo Canyon when the Engine left the track, and the train went over on its side. My brother Wilford walked back to Vivian Park; phoned to Wallsburg to have some one meet us at the North Fork with sleighs. We broke a trail through the snow to our waists. The men passengers on the train carried the casket through the snow. We had to cross the river on a foot bridge. I can see my poor old mother now wading through the deep snow. When we arrived at North Fork they were there with sleighs to take us to Wallsburg. (We had to wait one week before we could start through the canyon.)

Never having any children of our own we considered adopting some, for our own. We received a letter from Idaho wanting us to adopt a baby boy. We decided against it. Then one day the father brought this little 9-month old baby to leave with us for a few days. You can guess, we kept hem, and adopted him in Oct. 1922. He was born 14 June 1921 in Riley, Idaho, and blessed 26 Nov. 1921, baptized 23 of June 1929, and confirmed the same day. Sam was sealed to us 17 Aug. 1938.

Samuel Edward Marriotti married Glorie Mathews 1 Jan. 1945. Their Children were:

  • Edna Lee born 23 February. 1946
  • David Edward " 4 June 1949
  • Richard Gale " 30 Nov. 1953

Sam was always a good and dutiful son, he listened to our counsel, and followed our advice. We always had Sam's confidence. He consulted us about who he went with and where he was going. We would not have missed the pleasure and companionship of Sam and his family for anything. They have been thoughtful and considerate of us. We have had so much happiness come to us with the grand children.

My hair was brown, also my eyes. I was 5 ft. 2 inches tall. I weighed 105 lbs, until middle age and since have weighed 165 lbs. Dancing was the greatest form of entertainment to me. I also enjoyed hiking, swimming too.

The greatest fright I ever had was when I stayed with my sister Annie. Her husband was away baling hay at Center Creek. About 2 AM Annie woke me and told me to light the lamp, some one was trying to break in. Annie said, "Don there is some one trying to break in," loud enough for the prowler to hear. He just laughed. He knew Don was not at home. They had 600 bushel of grain stored in the adjoining room. We lighted the lantern, looked around the house, and under it. Then we heard him on the roof. Annie called to him and asked what he wanted. All he would answer is "What?" We went inside and kept the light burning the rest of the night.

I refused to go back the next night, so mother sent my sister Ida to stay with Annie. The family thought we had been frightened without a plausible reason. After dark the following night Don, Annie's husband return to get parts for their hay baler, as it had broken down. Annie told Don about the unwanted visitor of the night before, and insisted on him loading a gun. In the middle of the night they heard a wagon drive up and someone came to the door and tried to get in. Don reached for the gun, and it accidentally discharged. That frightened the intruders away. Before Don left again he sold the grain and they had no more night prowlers after that.

The Sunday School honored me after having taught for 40 years. A group of Sunday School officers and teachers came from Wallsburg. My niece Elva B. Carter, one of my first Sunday School pupils, and Merleen Meldrum, one of the Sunday School pupils I was then teaching, were present. Our pictures we in the Juvenile Instructor; also a write-up about my teaching for that long.

The biggest surprise of my life: At Sunday School the Assistant Superintendent of the Sunday School, asked me of I would be to Sacrament Meeting. I said, "If we don't have company." He said, "Bring your company." That night after the opening exercises the Bishop asked Norman Smith to escort me up to the stand. The meeting was in my honor, having taught Sunday School for 52 years. They gave me a book, "Christmas Ideals."

In 1907 Mother, Lorana and I went to Manti and worked in the temple for 2 weeks. While we were there Lorana was sealed to father and mother. I also went with Zora, Jasper, and Sam when they were sealed to our parents. The were all sealed at different times. Moses was sealed to our parents after his death.

In 1935 our son Sam and I went to Idaho for 1 week to visit Bill and Louise and family, at Soda Springs. At a later date we were visiting them again, my brother Will, Art, (Louise"s brother) and I decided to go to a picture show. After the show was out Art took his girl home. Will and I waited and waited. About 1:30 AM Art finally showed up. We started for home, but had not gone far when we ran out of gas. The gas station was closed, no hotels were available, so we went back to Carrie's and stayed the night. Next morning when we arrived at Bill's place I said, "I'll throw my hat in, and if it does not come back we will go in." Louise came to the door and said, "Well I could of believed this of Well and Art, but not of you Aunt Mina."

One year in June Annie and I planned a trip to visit Zora in Roosevelt. When the time came we could not go. I had written to Zora and asked how to get out to their place, as they lived 7 miles out of town. She told us to go one block West of the Post Office to Earl's home and he would bring us out. Time went on, and it was October before we could go. When we went to get on the bus, there were 26 Indians on it. A woman warned us not to get on the bus. These Indians had been to Salt Lake to testify against a white man selling whisky to the Indians. We inquired of the bus driver and he said he would vouch for the Indians. If they should get unruly he would put them off the bus. On the bus Annie and I had sat sit across the isle from each other. During the night the woman that had been sitting by me got off the bus, and a very handsome Indian came in the bus and sat by me. We had a gay time the rest of the way to Roosevelt.

To our dismay Earl had moved to Park City. We went to 2 hotels. They were full of Indians. We then went to a cafe, and enquired how to get out to our sister's. The owner of the cafe tried to find us a way out but was unsuccessful, so he decided to drive us out for $1.50. When we arrived there, the place did not look familiar to Annie. When she was there before they had gone into the place from the back. We had a wonderful visit for one week. Zora came back with us. I went to Salt Lake with her and we visited there for a week.

On May 1945 we left home at 3 PM to go to Seattle. It took us 48 hours on the bus to get there. We changed buses in Salt Lake City and Portland. While there we visited the ship yards. We were interested in seeing the aircraft carriers: the Lexington, the Wasp, the Saratoga, and other large ships. I counted 26 Russian ships. We visited the recreation center for the Navy boys and 3 big dance halls.

In Seattle we visited the St. Anns ward, the Old Curiosity Shop, Alaska building. We saw a floating bridge at Washington Park. At the aquarium we saw a spotted seal, octopus, and many other different animals. The sea flowers were beautiful. Their market place was outstanding.

In the city of Seattle one of father's cousins, Dawson B. Boren, had taken up a homestead in the early days. He was sheriff there for 25 years for the County. A park and a street were named "Boren" in his honor. He was the father of five children, but none of them lived to adulthood. Mabel Thompson's grandmother was Dauson Boren's sister.

In 1955 we took a trip to Zion and Bryce Canyons with our nephew Bill Boren and his wife Louise. In 1957 we took another trip to Southern Utah. We went to the Mexican Hat (a trading post), the Arches, Gooseneck and Hovenweep. We saw the Cliff Dwellings. There were 3 towers build from rocks. The forest rangers told us it isn't know what tribe of Indians built those towers. At the Gooseneck you could stand and see the river for 5 miles turning and twisting and winding, 50 feet below.

We left Bluff on morning to go to Hovenweep , a deserted Indian village. Our plans were to be back by 2 o'clock, but we took the wrong road and traveled at least 50 miles not seeing a person, home or passing a car in all that distance. There were no road signs. Finally two men in a car came along. They told us we were on the wrong road. We turned around, went back past Montezuma Creek, which we should of crossed. We traveled perhaps 5 miles, when we met an Indian. He told us we were again on the wrong road. We again turned around and went back to the crossing. We had to wait for a big truck to cross first. Then our troubles really began. We tried to cross after the truck and got stuck in the quick sand. Every one climbed out and tried every way to stop the car from sinking. Finally a big oil truck came from the other way, and with snow chains succeeded in pulling the car out. When the car was out in solid ground they opened the doors and the water gushed out like a water fall. We went on to Hovenweep, saw where the Cliff Dwellers were. We visited an Indian mission. They have a hospital school, a chapel, and we attended a picture show which cost 20 cents for the show. It was such a beautiful trip. That Spring there had been lots of rain and we passed acres and acres of wild flowers. It was beautiful sight at the ranger station.

On one trip to Strawberry about 3 years ago we were out on the lake when a storm came up. We thought for sure we were not going to get out alive. We drifted 1 « miles from our camp before we finally reached the shore. We were drenched to the skin from the waves splashing on us and the storm. I have never prayed more earnestly in my life.

Once when we were coming home from Soda Springs we saw a car go off the road and crash about 40 feet below. I was so frightened when we came to Sardine Canyon I walked all of the way through the canyon. When we got home and told Omero he said if he had of been there he would of let me of walk the rest of the way. (Of course we know he did not mean it.)

My hobbies: Dearest to my heart is my collection of salt and pepper shakers. I have been collecting them for about 14 years. I have some from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, from the Islands, New Zealand, Japan, Indo China, Sweden, Germany, Saipan, England, Italy, Iran, and most every state in the Union. Many have been given to me from friends, relatives, and 3 pair from people I have never met. I have a record of my salt and pepper shakers, who gave them to me and where they came from. On February 1961 I have 1,034 salt and pepper shakers and 154 vases. I also have a collection of coins from 37 countries.

Another hobby has been raising beautiful flowers, of every kind and description. I have had much joy and happiness in my flower gardens. I have furnished flowers almost every Sunday for church since this ward was organized. I have taken flowers to the sick people, and sent them to funerals. I always had loads of flowers for Decoration Day. I have given many starts of flower to friends and relatives, and it has always been a great pleasure to me.

I have enjoyed making quilts, and crocheting. I have crocheted hundreds of doilies and given them away, also crocheted slippers and given them to people in other states and in Canada.
Some of my favorite songs are hymns:

"Love at Home." "I Know That My Redeemer Lives." Other songs, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," and "Tumbleweed."

Poems: "The Tempest" "Abou Ben Adam" the Many Mansions."

My first patriarchal blessing was given by John Duke of Heber City Dec. 6, 1903. I also had another given in Provo, 22 February 1921 by Albert Delmar Clark. They have been a consolation and help and guide to me through out my life.

In my book of remembrance with my genealogical records I have write-ups of the funeral services of William Jasper Boren, Samuel LeRoy Boren, Moses Marcus Boren, Lorena B. Wall, Clinton B. Boren, Annie Boren Bigelow, Geanevie Boren Harmon Arthur and May Snow.

I have letters of recognition written from Harry Parsely Inc. A letter from B.Y.U. and a tribute given over KOVO on my birthday anniversary Nov. 18, 1954. One Mother's Day in sacrament meeting I was honored, Eva Gilispie reading a tribute to me. I have a letter of congratulation for my salt and pepper collection from Glenn Perrins, a newspaper correspondent. A clipping and picture from the Juvenile Instructor in recognition of 40 years teaching in Jr. Sunday School. Other clippings and pictures will be recorded in my Book of Remembrance.

On our 50th wedding anniversary we spent in Salt Lake with Bill and Louise Boren, and each succeeding anniversary until 1960 Louise Boren and Nedre Snow have an open house for us at our home. It was our 56th wedding anniversary.

At the time of this writing I am 79 years and will be 80 years the 18th of Nov. 1961, if I am permitted to live until then. I have had a happy married life. I still enjoy traveling, going to the temple, and sill enjoy Relief Society block teaching, my Sunday School class, which I still teach, my relatives and friends. I have fairly good health as long as I follow the Dr.'s orders.

Back to top